Monday, December 01, 2008

Foreign Country does not equal not understood

What is it about some people that make them think that just because they are in a foreign country others will not understand what they are saying?

While eating tonight in the hotel restaurant, I had the great experience of having a "lovely" American couple sitting behind me. I would estimate that they were in their upper 60s or so.

During their conversation I heard about their romantic life and what he intends to do to her tonight. Their financial status including the cost of this trip and how American Express cards work. A rant about foreigners in America...are we not all foreigners and children of immigrants? His own sense of self-importance.....how would the world function without him? That maintenance road workers drive around with the lights on top of their car lit up to make them feel more important the "#$*!&$# *!*$# !$*#@$*" and so on and so forth.

I really held myself together until the whole romantic escapades section came up and then I had to leave. I mean ick! I don't want to hear about that while eating dinner....well, I was done eating so while digesting my dinner.

Please, I ask everyone to consider when traveling to a foreign country to please realize that others around you just might speak your language!

In Dublin I had some French speaking people talk about me rather rudely after I told them in English that the chair they wanted to take was occupied.....the expressions on their faces when I told them after listening to them basically say how ugly and stupid and bitchy I was that "perhaps they misunderstood my English, but the chair is occupied by a friend so they can not take it" in French was priceless. Needless to say they quickly left the area.

*sigh*

Other than the dinner experience Zürich is good. Colder than Brussels with a covering of snow on the ground in places.

I did notice tonight that I have somehow managed to chip part of the ruby in my ring off. Not so happy about that one. Especially as I replaced not even a year ago one of the diamonds that fell out of the setting in the ring. It is not so noticeable unless you look closely at the ring, but now that I noticed it I can not help but look for it every time the ring catches my eye.

*sigh*

Okay, I hope that everyone has a great and wonderful week!

1 comment:

Anita said...

Actually, it happens to us all the time right here at home. My DH is fluent in Spanish and "He can hear and understand you!!"